International Days on Chemical Safety and Security and Cybersecurity Program
Monday, 9th December, 2019, 08.30–16.30
08.30 – 09.30 Registration of participants; Coffee
09.30 – 16.30 EXHIBITION – Vistula – ICCSS and partners activities to enhance chemical and environmental safety and security and cybersecurity
09.00 – 16.00 National Conference/Workshop: Cybersecurity as an essential link in industry reliability: Strengthening resilience to cyber attacks and improving reliability in Small and Medium Enterprises and local government companies - Room 2, conference website with program >
14.00 – 16.30 International Session on the development of the on the management in cybersecurity in chemical and petrochemical industries - Room 21
Tuesday, 10th December, 2019, 08.30–17.30
08.30 – 09.30 Registration of participants; Coffee
09.30 – 17.30 EXHIBITION – Vistula – ICCSS and partners activities to enhance chemical and environmental safety and security and cybersecurity
09.30 – 15.30 II International Scientific Conference: From the series: Contemporary views on chemical safety and security; The institutional dimension of chemical safety and security - Room A2
12.00 – 14.00 CHEMSS EDU Research and Development Network International Session on the development of the Education and Training Cybersecurity and Reliability Plan to provide guidance for University educational and Industry training programs - Room 21
15.30 – 17.30 Inauguration Session of the Scientific program of the development of the chemical safety and security in the countries of the Three Seas Initiative, to promote local, national and regional awareness, responsibility and cooperation in chemical safety and security - Room 21
About International Days
Chemical safety and security and cybersecurity are important instruments to enhance security, reduce chemical threats and promote economic, trade and development cooperation
- In front of worldwide development of chemical industry and trade as well as global access to chemicals, security of manufacturing, infrastructure, supply chain of chemicals, energy sources and carriers becomes a priority for governments, chemical industry and communities where chemical activities are conducted, for the world of science and non-governmental organisations.
- Chemical safety and security are more and more interlinked with internal and external security, public health protection, economic and trade cooperation, as well as development and humanitarian policies. Taking into account continued threats of misuse of toxic chemicals by non-state actors, use of chemicals as chemical weapons in Syria and recent chemical catastrophes in several countries, which undermine national and international security, economic and social stability, there is a need to strengthen chemical safety and security at national, regional and global levels.
- The number of cyber incidents and the sophistication of the attacks have dramatically increased and cyber-attacks increasingly target critical infrastructures. They may also hit chemical facilities. This might lead to substantial releases of chemical materials with all sorts of consequences, including loss of lives, (severe) injuries, property destruction and economic damages.
- Due to worldwide expansion of chemical activities and toxic chemicals the potential of a misuse of chemicals intentionally or non-intentionally is a growing worldwide threat. Most countries expand and/or introduce chemical industries because of development requirements. As a result, the need for experts in the areas of chemical safety and security, as well as its influence on environmental protection and food safety, has become of great importance, and industries, research centers, universities and students have shown an increasing interest in chemical safety and security specialties.
- Meeting the potential risks associated with chemical activities and cybersecurity threats requires the cooperation of all stakeholders, including governments, industry, civil society organizations and the media.
- The International Days on Chemical Safety and Security and Cybersecurity are addressed to all who have an interest in ensuring safety and security in CWC relevant chemical activities. They bring together chemical and environmental safety and security leaders and practitioners from government, international organizations, industry, academia and civil society in an industry-oriented, science-based, and non-political forum. They support the view that sustainable chemical safety and security measures have to be established and introduced to support the development needs, to prevent misuse of toxic chemicals and to protect society and industries. They will concentrate on practical aspects of increasing industry resilience against cyber threats in chemical industry.
- The development of training and education in chemical safety and security at all levels of society, and especially in all the educational organizations and within industries, would play a major role in the International Days activities. It would be a major factor to seek and ensure that chemicals are only used for peaceful purposes and in a safe manner.
- The International Days will demonstrate concrete activities of the International Centre for Chemical Safety and Security (ICCSS) and Vistula Group of Universities and their cooperation with national and international partners, to enhance chemical safety and security, with an emphasis on education and training in industrial cybersecurity. An ICCSS training offer on building resilience against cyber threats will be presented.
- Vistula University and ICCSS will present efforts in the development and acquisition of talented staff for global chemical, petrochemical and energy industries, which are undergoing deep changes and transformation. They assist in the preparation of talented staff to be able to adapt to changing environment and introduce innovative and environmentally and economically sound, especially in the developing countries.
- The Days will continue a unique process of the development of manual on the management in cybersecurity in chemical and petrochemical industries.
- There is a growing global demand for modern technologies, equipment as well as adequate administrative and legal solutions for chemical safety and security and environmental protection, safe disposal of a growing volumes of toxic substances and wastes, protection of chemical facilities, storage and transportation of energy sources. The second Scientific Conference on chemical and ecological safety and security will continue to generate scientific and research development as well as scientific and technical cooperation.
- The International Days will initiate a scientific program of the development of the chemical safety and security in the countries of the Three Seas Initiative. The Program will promote local, national and regional awareness and responsibility in chemical safety and security. This initiative aims to enable local, national and regional stakeholders to meet the safety and security challenges posed by the increasing use of chemicals and access to hazardous substances at the local level and in transit.
- The International Days will offer national and international partners of Vistula University and ICCSS in the development and promotion of an international network of academic education and professional trainings in chemical and ecological safety and security for chemical industry, energy and environment sectors - CHEMSS EDU R&D Network.
- The Days will consider education and training aimed at increasing competences of students and trainees in the management in cybersecurity and reliability.